Tuesday 28 May 2013

Introducing.... R2-OT!

As I've already let slip a few times, I'm building another droid :)  And as hard as 2-3-2 is, actuating doors, trimming hinges etc is, choosing a name for a custom droid is probably the hardest obstacle to overcome.

So, the rest of the build should be plain sailing as I'm feeling pretty settled on his name!

R2-OT!

So, OT (Oatey), what does that stand for?

Well, it could mean Original Trilogy, as a nice nod to the original films that I grew up with.  If any of you are prequel fans, R2-PT is still open (Petey!)

It could also mean Off Topic.  I often wander off in a day dream and go off topic when typing.  It's like I was saying to Steve at the pub the other day, I generally start talking about something and then... have you seen the new Star Tre... wait.  Oops.


So, Oatey :) Has a nice ring to it.  I loved R2-D2 being given the nickname  "Artoo" in the films.  It was a nice touch that made him feel more of a friend than a robot.  I want the same from my droids.  I call B4 "Artoo" all the time, and really do feel like he's more of a friend than a hunk of junk.  If he got irreparably destroyed, it would be more like loosing a buddy!


Now lets talk colour.  I've been having a chat with Paul Johnson who has made some great renderings of R2-D2 about colours I would like to go for.  He's been kind enough to do me a couple of renders of what I could expect mine to look like :D

First up, anodized Green.



I love the look of this.  My first initial thought was to go with a British Racing Green, but I instantly love the shine that this gives.  It makes him a bit more "punchy".




And here's something closer to the British Racing Green.  Still just as gorgeous, and looking a bit more subtle and weathered down.  A bit easier on eye while he sits in the corner of the living room.  I suppose I should speak to the missus about this, but she can just vote here.  Cause she's a regular here.  Right?  RIGHT?  Where's my coffee woman?  Why hasn't my ironing been done?


Nope, guess she doesn't read the blog.  Whew!


So chaps, it's up to you!  Let me know what you think of the name, and let me know which green you prefer!  Would love your feedback :D


4 comments:

  1. anodized Green looks great!

    but then there's good old British Racing Green ??? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. British racing green all the way - The anodised makes it look lime green - yuk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the shiny... yes I just caught up! Unfortunately your coffee has gone cold :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and the ironing...pfft forget it!

    ReplyDelete