Wednesday 4 September 2013

This dome is now armed and fully operational!

R2-B4! :D

Nice little video showing off what he can now do with his dome panels.  Subscribe for more updates ;)

http://youtu.be/vGVKMmGJXck



Have just realised I only control sets of servos in this video, either via scripts or all top, or all bottom.  I also have control over each individual panel too :)

So here's a few pics!

I'm using an Arduino Uno and an Adafruit to control these with

[URL="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5B8A65frsBgZDJaSlFYSW1CR0U&usp=sharing"]the BHD code[/URL].

The servos are cheap ones from ebay - Tower Pro SG90 :)


The servos are being powered through the slip ring.  The Adafruit has 2 power supplies that need to be used.  One for the controller, and one to power the servos themselves.  I'm powering the controller from the Uno +5v and ground pins, and the servos (via the Adafruits screw terminals) from the main battery, through the slip ring, into a pololu 5v converter.  Lots of wires :D



Arduino Uno on the right (which I'm sure you're all familiar with by now), controls the 3 HP LED's, and the dome servos.

On the left we have the Adafruit.  This is controlled by the UNO via I2C.  The first 3 servo spots on the Adafruit are for the HP's which I don;t have controlled yet (only one movable resin one at the moment).  I'm using the BHD code, so instead of altering it all around, I just set it up like this.




Like an idiot, I managed to drill the holes the the lower door hinges over size, so I had to alter the clevises to take an M3 bolt.  Don't do this :)  It's a headache.  In this picture you can still see the pen mark where I aligned the hinges where I wanted them.









The large rear door is quite heavy, even in styrene!  I found it was best to use a point closer to the servo itself to attach the servo rod to.  In hindsight, I should have done the same for all of the hinges.  Larger range of travel on the servo, plus more power!

I'll update the blog properly as soon as I can :) Just wanted to share this now it's all running!

No comments:

Post a Comment