Monday 26 November 2012

Walkies!

Electronics are in.

Dome motor and feet motors work.

Sounds work.

Now I just need control of them.  With help from my good friend Brad this was all possible :)

He's made his controller out of a PS2 controller.  It's not just a novel idea, it's also an incredibly easy and responsive way to control him.  I've posted about this a bit before.

Having reinforced my shoulder's after the last attempt.... Brad has loaned me the prototype shield for the Ps2 controller - before it went wireless.


These cables from the PS2 controller connector are rubbish!  One of them keeps failing to connect and I've had to use some tape to keep it in place and connected.  Will be an easy fix though.

I put R2 up on the bench and feet, and dome motor have been working on command :D  I've been nervous about the feet and wanted to reinforce those before taking him out for a proper test drive, but had no time before the Birmingham NEC Memorabilia convention.  I was happy to have him as a display droid, with control of the dome, lights and sound.  

However, Brad convinced me to take him for a test spin.  He agreed to help me carry him back if he fell apart.

R2 delivered the goods.  In fact, R2 survived the weekend in better shape than I did!  He controlled so well, he didn't fall apart, and he drew in the crowds big style!  I imagined he may get a few pictures, but there were hundreds of pictures taken with him!  I'm hoping to get a copy of some of them to put up on here so look out for them!  (IF YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME!)

Here's a few great pictures from the event, plus a video of the girlfriend showing that even a woman can drive him ;)









I'm one very happy builder :) I cannot wait for the next event.  I have loads I want to tweak and add before then, but I'm ready for it :)

3 comments:

  1. R2 looking good mate and with remote-control too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much :D Shame that all the pictures have a cable hanging out of them though lol :)

    ReplyDelete