Tuesday 4 December 2012

Catching up

Well I had an exciting weekend at Memorabilia as you can tell :)

I've found a few pictures on the net of my R2 :)



This is my little sister meeting R2 for the first time :)  She loved him!  Without being prompted she did the "Leia recording" pose.  Bless her :)


Here's our UK Builders stand!  On the far left we have Simon Battells' droid, mine is in the center (bringing in the crowds), and Jon Lakins' Com-B frame on the left.  That's also his red dome on the stand which he's done a great job with!  And up the top we have Ians' droid looking down on us all.


 Brads I8-U2 droid and mine, guess which one was more popular ;)



R2 and K9!


Not sure who this is supposed to be...


And R2 taking a stroll to the office the next day :)  Don't I look pleased!


Since the event, building has been a bit slow.  I'm not happy with R2's feet, I think with the 4WD, the extra tension in the feet against the 3mm styrene is causing too much flex.  I'm planning to remake the motor mounts now, perhaps some aluminium U channel to fit inside under where the ankle attaches, with a 3mm aluminium plate to attach the motors to.

Another issue I've had is the dome motor hub.  I thought at the end of the Sunday at the event my battery had died and only the feet were working, but the grub screw had actually started to strip the motor shaft!  I've now re-drilled 2 more holes so I can have 2 grub screws on the shaft which will add a lot more support to it.  I may well do this for the feet motors too :)


Also, while taking it slow, I built a periscope :)



I'm very pleased with it!  I just knocked it up in an evening, and to be honest could have done a neater job.  So I'll build a few more, I've had a few interested parties wanting one so I'd love to help out other builders :D

Credit to MonsieurTox for coming up with the prints for these :)

No comments:

Post a Comment