Wednesday 6 March 2013

You want more?

Tough, you're getting it anyway.

Ok, grey feet.

Time for a grey body!



Before

During


After!

While building a custom droid colour combination, I always wanted a white body and feet etc.  But the grey did start to grow on me.  Seeing the same R2 shapes in a different but uniform colour was quite refreshing :)

But not for this droid!  We're going white!  So get your shades on, cause this bad boy is going to get BRIGHT!

While we had some nice weather, I got hardcore with the painting.  I even booked Monday off to make the most of the weather.



White at last!  I also finished off the 2 ankle cylinders with the Dykem


Here's some of Mondays progress - finishing off some white on the feet, BB's and ankle

I had a run on one of the ankles which was easily sorted.  I started off by trying to sand it out but this was just stripping back to the primer around the run.  The best thing I found to do was to use a stanley knife and gently scrape it off then repaint. Worked well :)



An old broken trouser hanger worked well for the arms!  This is using Tahti Blue


The body after a few coats.  I kept going back and topping it up every hour till I was happy.

And boosters now painted and test fitted!  Can you believe the difference it makes?  I can, but my intellect is unrivaled so don't feel bad.

Pretty bad ass wouldn't you say?  With everything looking so neat now, I had to go back and strip the doors and scotch brite them to get out scuffs as well as the same with pocket and side vents, coin returns etc, re-do the shoulder to body hubs to get out all the dinks in them and will be re-doing the foot strips too.

After the paint has all dried (mostly), I had a big dose of impatience and did a test fit.


Ta da!

One sexy looking droid.  I'm very pleased with the over all look with the aluminium doors.  It's still looking enough like R2-D2 to pull in the crowds, but different enough to be my droid.  R2-B4 everyone, remember that.  People will be asking.

To me the Dyken and the Tahti blue is pretty much spot on.  But I'm colour blind (every super hero has a weakness) and have been told that the difference is quite clear.  

What do you think guys?  I still have a few bits that I need to do obviously, but he should be done by the month end - well, version 1.1 at least, still a lot of upgrades in mind before CE2 :)


1 comment: