Saturday 22 June 2013

Dome Servos and Leg updates

Welcome back friends.

You may be reading this on a lazy weekend with nothing to do.  Maybe sitting down with breakfast and a coffee, reading it on your phone on the bus, or perhaps you're at working ignoring those reports that don't need to be done till the end of the week anyway.  Wherever you are, thanks for popping back :) I've got a great update today that's not let me stop smiling yet.  One happy builder here :)

There has been moments in R2's build when I've sat back and looked at him and thought.

"Nice.  I built that, he looks awesome.  I'll just tidy up these couple of jobs, but he won't get much more complete than this"

And then I keep seeming to add something new, re-do more than I thought, have a new idea on how to do something else etc.  And he keeps getting better and batter each time!

The dome panels.  How cool are they!?!?!  I had them cut out when I started on my dome with the "intention" (hope) of hinging them and adding servos.  I always knew it was going to be a big job and just wanted to focus on getting R2 looking finished on the outside.

But now they've gone from being hinged to being hinged on a servo!


So far all of the panels are servos.  I just need to find the closed and open positions on the servo and put them in the code.  Once I've done that, Brads very clever scripts should just running straight on to my droid! 

So with Celebration Europe only a few weeks away, R2-B4 is looking like he may be able to show off a little bit after all!

I've also been trying out the new legs.  Well, one of them as it's the only one finished so far.  But I've also locked the 4WD in much tighter and wanted to test out the 2 center casters on as rough of a surface as I could get away with.  This is how he holds up :)


J.J. Abrams, if you really want me to, I'm open to changing career for the next couple of years..  Just get your people (Lucasfilm) to call my people (I call him Dad) and we'll talk ;)

So it's been a pretty productive week!  Dome panels hinged, legs upgraded, CV updated, surprise lined up.

A surprise?  Yes indeed :)  Unfortunately my fellow blog friends, you'll have to wait till after CE2 to find out what it is.  As far as I'm aware, there is no other droid that has done what I have planned (and very almost ready).  Once I get to show off a bit at CE2, I'll reveal it all!



No comments:

Post a Comment