Tuesday 4 June 2013

HInges!

With all the excitement that's been going on here lately, I'm not sure if you guys can handle this next bit.

Long time subscribers may have been acclimatized to the high levels of awesome that spews from my fingers when I type, but if you're relatively new I suggest you sit down.


I've been working on hinges for the dome!


*swoon*


I recently picked up some spare Robart Hinges from a fellow builder - Simon.  These are designed for model air crafts, but I'm sure more have been sold to R2 builders.  Based on that, I personally vote that they change the design to a more R2 friendly shape!  Cause it's a lot of work to get these working correctly!




The above two pictures show the modifications needed to get these to fit.  The top picture probably shows this best



Having got one side of the hinge filed to a reasonable level, I put these in my newly procured (cheers Dad) vice.  Notice I've used the grommet supplied with these to line them up correctly. 


Well, after a long period of fiddling with the position and using a tacky glue that was easy to remove and re-position, I found the "sweet spot".  I quickly got a marker pen and marked where these needed to be glued.





I found that during the positioning process, getting a spot where the hing meets the inner dome was the best way to line it up.  With both sides of the hinge being filed down equally, I've got a nice straight hinge.  Also. the panel wont hit the outer dome so it won't leave marks.  This will be particularly handy when it comes to R2-OT's aluminium dome, as I don't want to scratch that!

I still need to remove these hinges once more so I can paint the inner sides of the panels.  I also need to add holes for the servo linkage rods to attached to on the hinge.  But theory proved :)


And of course, here's your obligatory video!





Well, I don't know if you all made it this far through the post, but I for one am feeling faint.  Once I've got the hinge fixed in place and it's opening smoothly with out any wobble, I think I'll need at least a stiff drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment