Wednesday 27 February 2013

R2 opens doors!

Man I am off the rails!  Another update so soon?

Yes my adoring fans, twice in one week :)

Comments so far have all been positive and the sun is forecast to come out over the next few days.  Like I said, super powers.

But did a little rainy weather hold me back?  Pfft, no!

I decided to look at hinges.

Let me start of by saying that I now hate hinges.  Not in a "dislike" kind of way, more of a "burn in hell you evil horrible things" kind of way.

This is largely down to the fact that despite popular belief, I'm a muppet.

When assembling the frame I didn't pre drill the holes to the correct size for the hinges to mount to.  instead, I drilled them at 2mm thinking it would be a good guide hole that I could come back to later.  Once skinned though, there's no chance of getting a drill in there.

Instead, I had to use a drill bit but hand and painfully widen the holes to allow me to tap them.

I've not gone with the traditional method that DE has suggested for these doors - in which he suggests to use a flanged bearing.  This is a really neat, tidy and professional way to do it.


For the long door hinges, I have instead tapped the hinges and the frame to M3 and put a bolt through it.  It isn't glamorous, but it works for now :)


As you can see, I have both the long doors, the large door and the CBI door all hinged now!




I've used super glue (eugh god I know, don't even start) to attach the hinges to the doors.  I was sure to get a nice neat curve on them first though :)



To make sure the curve matched the shape of the door, I first fit the hinges in place.  Then I turned the hinges in place so that the end of the hinge over poked out of the frame, and used a marker pen to make a guide line for the curve.

I then popped them back out, cut them back and filed to a nice flat surface, put them back in and glued :)


The other thing worth mentioning is how I get the correct alignment for the long doors, as there is a separate piece you need to glue in the frame above the shoulder supports.

I glued two pieces of 3mm scrap styrene together and made one side the correct curve of the frame.  Then one side was made flat that sits along side the bread pan.

Once I was happy with the shape and snug fit, I pressed it in place above the hole for the bottom hinge and pushed a drill bit through from the other side to mark where to drill.

Then, hole drilled, I glued it in place above the shoulder :)

I'm sorry if all the above is one massive ramble, but it's a first drat ;) Will try and  update it tonight with better grammar and explanations along with more pictures





No comments:

Post a Comment